Issues with several songs

Started by Marioland1, August 19, 2013, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marioland1

Heh.  I kinda forgot about this place for a while.  If you recall though, I was intent on looking through some of the songs here and find a few of them that weren't quite working properly.  Not everything I list here will be major, but what can you say?  It's not a bad thing to nitpick every once in a while, especially to try and better a project.  It's a work in progress, as I've only had a small amount of time to find as much as I can, but I've gotten 4 so far.

"Great to be Different"
When Derpy's singing "wasn't the teasing or the pain", pain is split into 3 syllables.  Even more, the middle syllable is a different pitch than the other two, despite the fact that there is no pitch change in the recording.  In short, "pain" is a pain.

"Luna - Dream Mode"
There are note pairs (including, but not limited to, the first 2 notes) that overlap, which would force the player to sing 2 different pitches simultaneously (which I'm pretty sure isn't possible).  The screen also changes lines before you can finish the line before it, making it impossible to know when to change notes.

"Memory Lane"
The only thing I can say here is "note lag".  The timing for this song is horrendous, as the program looks for the notes anywhere from "just a split second late" to "I'm singing the note a second and a half after I hear it sung".  The last line is the worst, as it has a massive pause between "and you can" and  "smile smile mile", which makes those last 3 words stick out like a very, very sore thumb.

"Sweetie Bot's big Race"
I have utterly no clue what is causing the issues with this song, but it is a big issue.  I went and checked the pitch of the first few notes a few weeks ago to find that they were all showing up as a Gb.  However, now the program is reading them all as As.  I was a bit curious though, so I tuned my viola to a perfect 440Hz A and played it to this song, and it registered everything sharp and suddenly started looking for Gbs again.  I really have no clue what is going on here.

Smilley

Quote from: Marioland1 on August 19, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
Heh.  I kinda forgot about this place for a while.  If you recall though, I was intent on looking through some of the songs here and find a few of them that weren't quite working properly.  Not everything I list here will be major, but what can you say?  It's not a bad thing to nitpick every once in a while, especially to try and better a project.  It's a work in progress, as I've only had a small amount of time to find as much as I can, but I've gotten 4 so far.
We are far from perfect, and sometimes we need a wake-up call to realize what we did wrong. I for one am glad for some constructive criticism. And it's not just "it suxx, fix it", so we have real leads to go by.
"Great to be Different"
When Derpy's singing "wasn't the teasing or the pain", pain is split into 3 syllables.  Even more, the middle syllable is a different pitch than the other two, despite the fact that there is no pitch change in the recording.  In short, "pain" is a pain.
That one was done on purpose. Listen to it closely. There is a slight bump in the pitch. And yes, I am OCD like that.
"Luna - Dream Mode"
There are note pairs (including, but not limited to, the first 2 notes) that overlap, which would force the player to sing 2 different pitches simultaneously (which I'm pretty sure isn't possible).  The screen also changes lines before you can finish the line before it, making it impossible to know when to change notes.

"Memory Lane"
The only thing I can say here is "note lag".  The timing for this song is horrendous, as the program looks for the notes anywhere from "just a split second late" to "I'm singing the note a second and a half after I hear it sung".  The last line is the worst, as it has a massive pause between "and you can" and  "smile smile mile", which makes those last 3 words stick out like a very, very sore thumb.
Will look into those. Just probably not this week. I'm on a pretty tight schedule.

"Sweetie Bot's big Race"
I have utterly no clue what is causing the issues with this song, but it is a big issue.  I went and checked the pitch of the first few notes a few weeks ago to find that they were all showing up as a Gb.  However, now the program is reading them all as As.  I was a bit curious though, so I tuned my viola to a perfect 440Hz A and played it to this song, and it registered everything sharp and suddenly started looking for Gbs again.  I really have no clue what is going on here.
Me neither. But Ultrastar has ways to surprise you. While pitching A Night With Prince (yes, that one), the sound suddenly started to "drift" backwards. I would play the same note repeatedly by holding SPACE, and it would change, eventually fading into silence. Leaving the editor would restore it, but it would start drifting again. Fortunately, a few misplaced notes on THAT "song" don't make a big difference.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Marioland1

Quote from: Smilley on August 19, 2013, 05:25:05 PM
Quote from: Marioland1 on August 19, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
"Great to be Different"
That one was done on purpose. Listen to it closely. There is a slight bump in the pitch. And yes, I am OCD like that.

I listened closely to that one (with my earbuds, to block out the outside sound better), and I noticed the same thing you're noticing here.  However, if you really checked it out thoroughly, you can tell that her voice just gives out.  I more or less think that it's just a voice crack.  The "bump" is hardly noticeable, and the pitch still remains closer to the intended note (a.k.a. the first half of the word) than the raised pitch you threw in.

Simply put, it's closer to leave the pitch shift out than to add it in for such a tiny hiccup.  It's just confusing for most, and doesn't really make that much sense, even from an OCD standpoint.  In fact, it's pretty much musical OCD that's brought me here to discuss it in the first place, as this bump annoys the hay out of the musical part of my brain.

PsychicWalnut

I don't know... I try my best to hit that pitch change.  (It's not 3 syllables, just a pitch variation)
When I get it just right, it really seems to add that extra bit of emotion to the song.  Singing through the 'pain', if you will.

I'm all for keeping it.  Especially since it accents the tonal changes of the rhymes that follow.

Marioland1

It bugs the ever living hay out of me, and just doesn't fit with anything musically.  Hay, I don't even see how it fits with itself, as the sung pitch is far closer to the intended pitch than the "edited" pitch.  It just ruins the line for me, and utterly confused the friend I had come over and try.

So yeah, this is where I'm just gonna fix it on my own end, as it bugs both me and a friend I had come over today.  Neither of us like it, and as a pair of musicians, it just messes with our heads in all the wrong ways.  It's just not how it's supposed to go.

Smilley

Done and done. Unfortunately, the Sweetie Bot song seems to be a core error, so I can't help you with that one.

Marioland1

I kind of expected you to be unable to fix that particular problem.  Sans Great to be Different, that fixes about everything that I've found right now.

Smilley

Actually, I'd rather stand by that decision. If you need help fixing it for you, I can give you a step-by-step, though.

Marioland1

I'm trying to learn how to make/edit songs myself (although I've been a bit busy to do much for it).  Regardless, I've already gotten this one done, and so I'll send it over to the appropriate thread.  Thanks for the offer though.

Renard

Hey! Thanks for these reports. :)

Marioland1

No problem.  I do what I can to improve the things around me, when I have the time to.