My Little Karaoke used to work. it doesn't anymore.

Started by kamira, February 15, 2015, 03:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamira

To be more specific:  I downloaded the first version of MLK in May on my Mac OS: version: 10.6.8.  That first version of MLK worked awesomely!  However, I decided to update it for the newer songs so I downloaded MLK SIM2 today and the 3 update files as well.  (I downloaded from the official mylittlekaraoke website: www.mylittlekaraoke.com and used the mega links since the other ones wouldn't work (they kept failing to download for some reason)) It look hours to download them.  I unarchived the .iso zip files once it was done.  I went into MLK_Sim2 file and I clicked on the OS X file and clicked on MLK for mac.dmg.  I followed the directions listed: moved it to my applications folder and installed the songs.  After reading the instructions online, I installed the update files in order: MLK_AC, MLK_AC2 MLK_AC3.  I opened ultrastar deluxe with the mlk icon.  it immediately crashed before it could open.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  This time I just opened ultrastar deluxe without installing the update files.  It continued to crash.  I kept repeating uninstalling and reinstalling.  it continually crashed the same way and still does.  So my question is: why and how can I fix it so it works?

yayponies-eu

QuoteI unarchived the .iso zip files once it was done.

wtf? Mount it via OSX, do not extract it! it can't work when it's extracted.

Smilley

First and foremost, try installing Ultrastar Deluxe on its own, see if that works
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

kamira

Quote from: yayponies-eu on February 15, 2015, 08:36:28 PM

What do you mean mount?  I don't get what that means.  When I click on the files they are automatically extracted since they are zip files.

kamira

Quote from: Smilley on February 16, 2015, 12:41:34 AM
First and foremost, try installing Ultrastar Deluxe on its own, see if that works

It doesn't. I don't get it.  It used to but not anymore.  Now it just crashes.

Smilley

Quote from: kamira on February 16, 2015, 05:26:37 AM

What do you mean mount?  I don't get what that means.  When I click on the files they are automatically extracted since they are zip files.
Not exactly. ISO files are CD/DVD images. Autorun and other features won't work properly if you just extract them. You can use utilities like Daemon Tools to create virtual DVD drives and load, or "mount", your ISOs to it. Alternatively, you can burn them to a DVD-R.

Your problem runs deeper, then. Have you installed any drivers or system updates recently, perchance?
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

You don't need specific tools on Mac OSX, you just have to double-click on the iso file. Vanilla UltrastarDX not running is an issue still, which may be caused by a few things including broken settings (iirc in ~/Library).

Alternatively, you can use Performous instead of Ultrastar. It's much more recent, very good now, and less likely to have compatibility issues on modern systems.

kamira

Quote from: Renard on February 16, 2015, 12:09:21 PM
You don't need specific tools on Mac OSX, you just have to double-click on the iso file. Vanilla UltrastarDX not running is an issue still, which may be caused by a few things including broken settings (iirc in ~/Library).

Alternatively, you can use Performous instead of Ultrastar. It's much more recent, very good now, and less likely to have compatibility issues on modern systems.

Performous doesn't work either.  It gives me sound but no visuals. 

kamira

Quote from: Smilley on February 16, 2015, 11:54:05 AM

Not exactly. ISO files are CD/DVD images. Autorun and other features won't work properly if you just extract them. You can use utilities like Daemon Tools to create virtual DVD drives and load, or "mount", your ISOs to it. Alternatively, you can burn them to a DVD-R.

Your problem runs deeper, then. Have you installed any drivers or system updates recently, perchance?

I haven't installed anything new, no and my computer hasn't needed an update yet.  The only thing new was installing the updated version of MLK  I had opened the old one before I installed the new one and it worked fine.  So I got rid of the old one so I could install the new version and the new version doesn't work and I am left very confused. 

Also, it says on the site that you do not need daemon tools or anything like that for the mac.  It says to just double click the file which when i did so, it was extracted into separate files to which I clicked on the mac os file to run the my little karaoke.dmg which had instructions on it which I followed but then this problem occurred. 

kamira

Would you like screenshots of a recreation of what I did?

Renard

Well, that is confusing indeed.

Quote from: kamira on February 16, 2015, 03:37:12 PMWould you like screenshots of a recreation of what I did?
No need, you did right.

Quote from: kamira on February 16, 2015, 03:20:09 PMPerformous doesn't work either.  It gives me sound but no visuals.
And this part is even more confusing. Performous is usually rock-solid there... I'm afraid I have no idea of what's going on in your case.

yayponies-eu

So, first, please check the md5: open a terminal, type "md5 " (Without the quote, with the space), drop the downloaded file in it (The one called MLK_SIM2/MLK_AC/MLK_AC2 or MLK_AC3) and press enter.

It should take a short time (Depend of your computer) and should give you this:

MD5 hash: 1fea966a2c165ef915b97f00543f43d1 (MLK_SIM2.iso) - Main disc
MD5 hash: 9d13b31c70ab4de73addbe5e430ab835 (MLK_AC.iso) - Addon disc #1
MD5 hash: 3d19fa866c6fd3fe6bab61cef0c5e40c (MLK_AC2.iso) - Addon disc #2
MD5 hash: b54570aef775952f51927b81d7b58476 (MLK_AC3.iso) - Addon disc #3

If the hash is incorrect, your iso is corrupted and you'll need to redownload, If not, clean your actual installation, run this in the terminal:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/UltraStarDeluxe.app
sudo rm -rf /Applications/mlkstart.app
sudo rm -rf /Applications/MyLittleKaraoke\ Launcher.app
sudo rm -rf /Applications/.USDXMavericks
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/UltraStarDeluxe

BE CAREFUL WITH THE RM -RF, BE SURE THAT THERE IS NO TYPO! I RECOMMAND YOU TO COPY/PASTE THE ENTIRE THING TO THE TERMINAL.

Now, to mount the iso, we will use the terminal again, just to be sure that everything is done correctly:

Type "hdiutil mount " on your terminal (again, no quote but with the space at the end), drop the file you downloaded and press enter.

Now, just to do an additional check, type "ls /Volumes/" and press enter, you should see the name of the iso (and also the name of the DMG, if you opened it.), if you do, please continue the install normally, if you don't, please come back at us.

yayponies-eu

Quote from: Smilley on February 16, 2015, 11:54:05 AM

On mac, it's even worst than the failed autorun. the installation script expect to see the songs file in /Volumes/IsoName/songs/ , if you extract it, it will not be on this path, so it will simply fail.