Fair use/IP policy

Started by Smilley, August 16, 2012, 07:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilley

After someone at Galacon used some of my songs (among others) for their karaoke booth (here's a rant about it, if you care), I started wondering if we should have some kinda unified policy about our releases. Until we go live with our project, I'd still like to release my songs at Bronies.de; they were the first community to recognize my work. I would like to use the HQ vids and audio in that case, if that's OK with everyone. I won't "leak" any songs made by others, though. We can just link them to our DL site once we're live, of course.
I also had the idea that we could go for some kind of product identity. The plug in the .txt files is nice, but most people will never see that. I thought maybe a logo in the corner of the cover picture, or something similar.
I'm probably going a bit nuts about it, but I guess this is what it feels like to have intellectual property that's starting a life of its own.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

That's okay, Smilley - I was the one to allow Galacon to use the files. My mistake here is not talking about it; I wanted to showcase the project behind closed doors, in order to gain a little publicity. I expected to have some feedback, but did not have any at all so far. To be honest, I wasn't even sure they'd actually set up such a booth.

Could you link to the Galacon video showing the Karaoke booth?

B.U.C.K. also has access to the files and will have a Karaoke booth too. With the updated files.

As for the IP policy, my stake on it is quite simple: don't overdo it. There's no need IMO to watermark the album covers, especially since that woud be watermarking only one part of the work (artworks) and not the actual sync'd karaoke files. They karaoke files are, to an extend, watermarked with that #COMMENT tag. For most people, not knowing there's one can also mean they're not likely to remove it (and there's little point in deleting this line, since it doesn't interfere at all with the gameplay). I expect people to know where the Karaoke project originates from thanks to a lot of communication - downloading a whole song pack with extras (USDX pony theme? Box art?...) clearly shows where the work came from.

I'm okay with you posting your files on Bronies.de too (but I'd indeed rather see that without all the artworks / videos / etc, in order to keep interest in the karaoke project here). You're the one making them, so that's ultimately up to you. As long as the project here still keeps its consistency, I'm fine with it; keep in mind that the project is also a way of releasing something big and pro to talk about, individual karaoke files are often quite unheard of except in specific communities (so, little impact). The whole project here will allow you to make yourself known. ;)

I'm getting ready for EverfreeNW, so I got little time to deal with that as of now. I'm open to all suggestions.

Smilley

Ah, OK, I'm relieved. And will do.
USDX theme sounds awesome, just don't count on my arts and crafts for it.  :D
Video's here. Gotta love the title.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Profpatsch

No feedback from Galacon?
Then have one: IT WAS AWESOME!

And, btw, the reason I joined the project.  :D