Song Requesting Clarification: Is there a limit?

Started by Ziminite, April 26, 2015, 12:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziminite

Hi, I had a question about requesting community songs I'd love to see considered and created for the game. I actually PM'd Renard a while back and never received an answer, but here's what I'd asked:

QuoteSo I've gone through every song that's been released on MLK, those that are in development, and those that have already been requested, and have ended up with a total of 38 outstanding lyrical songs by 18 different artists that I'd like to request to be approved that haven't been done so already. Three of them technically have been requested, but not fully and in the standard format you've laid out for posting in the sub-forum; that is, they don't even have a link or embed Youtube video, so I'd like to include them in my own requests. However, that's quite a lot of songs, and before I go spamming that particular section of the forums, I'd like to ask how you think it could best be done. The sub-forum exists as a list anyway, so should I just make a topic for each song? :D

I wanted to make sure it was alright for one person to just spam new threads for each song, or if I should group them somehow. I also came up with the idea that this particular sub-forum could work better if there was one thread dedicated to each artist with all of the songs by them that have been requested within their own respective thread, instead of a random variety of posts one would have to sift through like I did to figure out what has been requested and what hasn't. I'm not sure how many duplicate requested songs you get from people who don't research, but this could help with that if you feel it a good enough idea!

Smilley

Don't worry about spamming new threads - it's not like post counts would mean anything on this board.
Posting each song request in a seperate thread - in the Song Requests sub-board - is better for us, because it gives us an easier way to see what songs are requested and/or being worked on and tones down on duplicate requests.
There are a few problems with having a single thread per artist:
- We'd need one such thread for the Requests, WIP and Released boards, respectively, and posts about single songs would need to be filtered out and moved between them accordingly
- If you want to find infos about a specific song, you might have to sift through several pages of irrelevant posts - the current way, you can just use the search feature
- Logging collaborations and remixes would be a nightmare

For now, this system has served us well.

That said, you may want to prioritize on some of the songs before dumping all 38 at once:
- Some genres don't lend themselves to this game: rap, growl-y metal, rhythmic speech like Let's Go And Meet The Bronies. That's not to say that we don't already have songs like that in our setlist, but they won't be first contenders
- We want to keep remixes to a minimum. If another version of that song is already in the game, chances are good that we won't pick it up
- We want to have a wide variety of artists. If we already have several songs from the same singer, and it's not part of a set (like AcousticMandoPony's Element series), it's much less like to be picked up.
- Songs with long intros, outros or interludes are aggravating to sing
- If you want a song in a foreign language, especially with a non-Roman alphabet featured, provide lyrics bro-ken down to syl-la-bles.

Lastly, if you're curious, you might wanna try creating notes for a song or two. Having something to check/improve upon gives us an incentive to work on those particular songs.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Ziminite

Thanks for the quick reply! Fair points about the organization, I know y'all have your own system, I can respect it. I'll take a second look at my list as well, but I believe the majority still fit the preferences you listed. Oh, and yes, the second portion of the PM I didn't include here that I'd originally sent expressed my interest in becoming a possible songmaker myself. I do however have to take care of some immediate and more important issues in my life at this time first. Thanks again for the information!

Renard

Hi!

I'm sorry, I was convinced I answered you back. Can't find my own reply in my "sent messages" folder though. I'll blame that on poor connectivity when I was in a train.

Smilley is spot-on anyway. We don't care about post counts, nor about flooding with content (as long as it's content); the one thread per song thing makes it a bit easier to know what's going on for some entries and discuss changes when needed. It's also easier to sort. 38 suggestions is massive, still, and I do recommend prioritizing requests - thought I wouldn't mind keeping  all of this tracks in the suggestion queue, for future reference. Just keep in mind that creating song files can sometimes be a lengthy process, so don't expect to see all of them included in the game fast.

Obviously, the more people we have on-board to help with song file creation, the faster the overall process will be. I'd be glad to have you as a new team member once you feel ready for it!

Smilley

Take all the time you need. We aren't in a rush, and neither should you. If you need pointers on creating song files, check the link in my signature.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Ziminite

Thanks for the feedback, it's no problem! I'll indeed prioritize, but I'm mainly putting them on paper just to increase possible content for the future with suggestions that have already been fleshed out and checked lyrically as well. This of course makes it much easier for people who would in fact be willing to try their hand at one of them.

I feel it's also good to have a variety of songs already present here in some form on the site because, for me, seeing so many other good suggestions that already exist here that I'm also a fan of made me feel like this project wasn't just going to die, since it had plenty of fans engaging in chatter and requesting more content. I myself replied in agreement on someone's more recent suggestion of Forest Rain's "Canterlot Nights", one of the songs I was going to include myself, so I'm positive I'm looking in the right direction with the rest of my suggestions that I'll put up once they're organized and complete.

I feel this is a project worth following and participating in, so I'm looking forward to experiencing more of MLK!