Credits file template

Started by Profpatsch, August 19, 2012, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profpatsch

I don't know if this really fits in here, since it's less of a bug and more of a discussion/proposal.

Since we want to distribute the songs as single downloads (I guess) aside from the complete package and since third party distribution lies in the nature of things (it's the internet, ya know?) I'd propose to have a credits.txt in every song folder.

My first draft:

ASCII art?

Creator:
Revisor:
Song:
Song ©:
Background:
Coverart:
Video:
Video ©:

Notes by creator
Other notes

MY LITTLE PONY: SINGING IS MAGIC is a collaborative effort to bring ponies to karaoke. This product is not endorsed by Hasbro, or any of its subsidiaries; consider it a fan tribute and support the show by buying official merch. No ponies were harmed in the making of this disc. To the disappointment of Lyra Heartstring, humans did suffer a bit instead, mostly from a few sleepless nights. None exploded twice. Ponies are good and you should feel good. Some fan-made songs may or may not contain plot. The square root of 546 is 23.36664289109. You shouldn't pay a single bit to be able to play this, but beware of your immediate neigh-bours if your scores are low despite you singing as loud as you can, for they might frown at you.
Keep being awesome.

Visit us at: http://derpy.fr/karaoke

NOT FOR SALE.

Content rating:
EVERYPONY
– Friendship
– Pastel equines
– Use of pony magic
– Muffins and cupcakes

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is ©Hasbro, all Creations © to their respective artists.

What do you think about this?
And yeah, I copied a whole lot from that coverart of yours, Renard. But such a funny text needs its tributes. ;)

Renard

Agreeing with the general idea, but you CAN'T use a .txt extension for that - USDX might confuse it for the note chart, and fail. Maybe make that a NFO?

Profpatsch

Yes, nfo sounds way better.

Did I forget something?

Profpatsch

I think the videos line should be removed, we are not a legal source and that can be a problem later.

Well, this is the thought behind it.
Since we are not the legal owner, we have to give credits to the guys who am (be it Hasbro or not).
Also I think you are thinking a little short here. There are non-official videos in here, too. Ask-TheCrusaders definitely wrote me that he wants to be credited. ;)

Renard

and Ask-TheCrusaders definitely has to be credited, just like any other artists. Come on - that's some jaw-dropping work there.

We could give credits to Hasbro for all official videos. They owe that IP, and I certainly do not want to "steal" it in any way - even if some editing had to be done to fit the videos on that project.

Some people on Reddit told me that the text taken from the MLK box art should be a bit rewritten (a few mistakes here and there, and some of the phrases don't seem to be written by an english-speaking guy). I alos think it might be to much to fit in a NFO, but why not. It'd need line breaks and some pretty ASCII Art to go with it, because HEY WHY NOT. My main concern is that it could be assimilated to what release groups are doing, and that's not the point of this project at all (heck, even all videos are mute when taken out of the game).

Also, Profpatsch, I noticed you were using Ubuntu in an other thread. Try installing "nfoview" from the repositories, in order to view NFOs the way they should be displayed. I don't expect a lot of users to actually notice how all of this work, but since it should be quite easy to do...

Profpatsch

Yes, good idea.

Now we only need someone who can actually make some ASCII art and put it in an .nfo. ;)

Renard

I'll ask around, I might know of a few guys.