TV Song's Notes Skip

Started by ManetorMyth, July 18, 2013, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManetorMyth

Whenever I play an Official song the bar doesn't fill up from start to finish and skips as little blue dots. I was wondering if I could fix this problem myself, if it was being worked on, if I could use another software, or whatever to fix it if possible? 

PsychicWalnut

That error happens when the game doesn't detect your singing strong enough to determine your pitch.

You can fix this  by adjusting your microphone recording volume in your operating system.

Alternately, there is an option in game to help remedy this if your volume is already maxed out in your operating system.
Tools -> Options -> Sound -> Mic Boost (Usually the +12db setting works well, but adjust it as you need to)

ManetorMyth

I put mic boost at 18db and have my mic volume all the way up and it still skips. Is there anything else possibly? It also only happens on the official songs, not community.

PsychicWalnut

The only other thing that might cause it would be lack of available processing power.

A good chunk of the CPU would be used by the video being displayed.  (show songs tend to have higher quality and more demanding videos)

As a test, try turning off the display of videos and see if the pitch detection gets better. (You can turn it back on afterwards) 
If it improves, you might consider reducing or disabling some of the programs you have running in the background.

... by the way, you are using an actual microphone, and not something built into the machine, right?  If the game picks up too much ambient noise, it would also make it difficult to find your pitch correctly.

ManetorMyth

I am using an official Singstar microphone for play and I was wonder how to turn off the video because I don't see an option to do that in the options menu.

PsychicWalnut

It's not so much as turning the video off as having it display something else.

In this case, we will have it do a default graphics display.
Tools -> Options -> Graphics -> Visualization: On

Alternately, you could pick a troublesome song and rename the video.mp4 file to something like Xvideo.mp4.
This would cause it to not load the video at all.  This method would cause the song to revert to it's standard background art.

Speaking of which, the instrumental versions of show songs are set to show static art by default.   Do they have the same problem when you sing to them?

Smilley

I'm also having this problem. It's what Psychic said: the video skips and so does the voice recognition. It's basically because we wanted to have the best compromise between quality and playability, opting for 720p videos forthe official stuff. You can also try to replace the Ultrastar executive with this one. The video still skips, but it at least recognizes the audio. It's a beta build, so report if there's any errors with it.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

ManetorMyth

Turning off the video made it work so it look like I'll have to do that for official songs. Thanks so much for your help and I hope I wasn't a bother.

ManetorMyth

One more thing actually if you don't mind. How do I replace the Ultrastar executive with the one you posted.

Smilley

If you're using Windows, just open the folder where you installed Ultrastar. If you don't know where that is, rightclick on the My Little Karaoke icon, click Properties and look for the entry under "Target". There should be an ultrastardx.exe there that you need to replace. You can rename the original, just so you have a backup, just in case.

ManetorMyth

Thank you so much! The song works perfectly now with the video and the video doesn't even skip while using the new ultrastardx you uploaded.  Thank's so much for your help and I wish you guys well with all your projects.

Smilley