Error: Could not find any valid themes

Started by HeroOfTimeLords, July 19, 2013, 06:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeroOfTimeLords

I have Windows 7 Home (64-bit) and download the game through uTorrent then opened it with Daemon Tools (I'll also installed UltraStar Delexe v.1.1), after installation I attempted to play the game and the following popup error appears: "Could not find any vali themes" I'm lead to believe I've missed a step and haven't installed the songs but I'm not sure so I'm asking for help, reply soon! Thanks

PsychicWalnut

That happens when you have more than one version of ultrastar installed.

If you run the version in your program files under the folder of "Derpy Muffins Factory", everything should be fine.

Of course, the other major cause would be if you closed the dos box during the install.  That would cause a similar issue.

yayponies-eu

One thing that may happen is that you already have an Ultrastar configuration with a selected theme that is not bundled with My Little Karaoke, You can select "Deluxe/Blue" in your old Ultrastar configuration or just remove it.

You may also want to check if your download finished correctly, you can download this tool : http://www.winmd5.com/ , select the iso file, and when it gonna finish to count, you gonna have a number in "Current file MD5 checksum value" , it should be the same as the download page ( this one : 1fea966a2c165ef915b97f00543f43d1 )

Marioland1

This is a problem I've likewise encountered, and I've fortunately found a workaround, and the problem.

I looked around in the Themes folder just after I installed it directly, and I saw a single theme folder named Deluxe.  The funny thing about this folder?  It's empty.  I even took a screenshot of the empty Deluxe folder, as well as the Themes folder itself and posted them to Imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/d3bpeyC.png
http://i.imgur.com/GVHJXxY.png

As you can see, the themes are most definitely missing when you run the installer.  Fortunately, the files are all in the .iso, so it's not too difficult to just copy the theme folder from the .iso over.  It really makes me wonder why the installer seems to be missing the themes when it copies over all the files.  It's a bit odd to say the least.

yayponies-eu

its even more odd than that, it should copy those themes, it has been tested with a lot of machine  running Win XP/Win 7 & Win 8 ...

Marioland1

And yet, it obviously didn't on my computer.  Either my computer and the computer of HeroOfTimeLords are oddball machines, 64 bit Windows 7 doesn't like the installer, or the error lies in the installer itself.  The fact that it doesn't seem to be common more or less points towards one of the first 2, either making the issue with our specific computers or with 64 bit Windows 7.

yayponies-eu

Quote from: Marioland1 on July 19, 2013, 06:57:27 PM
And yet, it obviously didn't on my computer.  Either my computer and the computer of HeroOfTimeLords are oddball machines, 64 bit Windows 7 doesn't like the installer, or the error lies in the installer itself.  The fact that it doesn't seem to be common more or less points towards one of the first 2, either making the issue with our specific computers or with 64 bit Windows 7.

It has been tested and made using 64 bits machine, no issue on my personal computer either running Windows 8 x64, are you sure you do not close that Dos box who appear during install ? you SHOULD never close it, it gonna close automatically when thing is finished.

Marioland1

I'm not stupid enough to do that.  I could clearly tell that it was copying files over, important for any installation.  Besides, this is 64 bit Windows 7, not Windows 8.  For all I know, it works fine on 64 bit Windows 8 but not Windows 7.  I can check if it's just my computer though.  I do dual boot Linux Mint after all.  If it installs properly there, it's probably the 64 bit Windows 7.  If it doesn't, it's probably my computer specifically that is the problem.

Also, looking back at things, it also didn't install any of Community Pack 4, any of the Foreign/Bonus songs, any of the Official songs, or Lullaby for a Princess.  It almost seems like the installer just gave up mid-way, to be honest.

StarStep

Just so you know, it installed fine on my Windows 7 64bit machine. So its not specifically the operating system.

Renard

These errors differ from computer to computer for a lot of reason - it's always hard to offer a specific fix. As a general rule, what you should try to see if the installer did not work properly is:
- If you already installed Ultrastar on your machine, the configuration may or may not conflict.
- Check if the ISO downloaded properly (by using the MD5 sum). Usually, torrents are the most robust way to download.
- If everything fails, you should try installing Ultrastar manually, then copy the songs and theme over to your hard drive. That's often the easiest fallback if you do not wish to spend a lot of time investigating the error.

The installer tries to be "fair", in some ways: when some files already exist (or you do not have sufficient user rights to write in a directory, according to your OS), it will not try to override anything. However, it won't show any errors either.

Marioland1

I can understand that.  It truly is an odd case, as the checksum matches up and I had no previous Ultrastar installation to interfere.  I guess we may never know exactly why it doesn't work properly on my computer, but it's not too problematic as the missing files can be copied over manually without too much trouble.

I mean, a fix would be nice for any other odd cases where some of the files didn't copy properly, but it's not really a priority fix unless the problem could be specifically pinpointed, which it hasn't yet.

yayponies-eu

Quote from: Marioland1 on July 21, 2013, 05:44:18 PM
I can understand that.  It truly is an odd case, as the checksum matches up and I had no previous Ultrastar installation to interfere.  I guess we may never know exactly why it doesn't work properly on my computer, but it's not too problematic as the missing files can be copied over manually without too much trouble.

I mean, a fix would be nice for any other odd cases where some of the files didn't copy properly, but it's not really a priority fix unless the problem could be specifically pinpointed, which it hasn't yet.

Well, its kinda hard to get information on it, since people that can report information already know how to fix it and generally fix it alone, and anyway, it would probably not worth the fix, since it mean editing the iso, and editing the iso is complicated for the distribution.

Marioland1

Indeed.  It's not common enough to worry about anyways.