Failing to launch on OSX Mavericks (bouncing dock icon)

Started by CodeWeaver, December 15, 2013, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeWeaver

Recently upgraded my OS to Mavericks (10.9).  Old installation of the program which ran before crashed outright.  Reinstalled completely from ISO.  New version just bounces in the dock and fails to show any windows.  Hung.

Workaround: Install the PC version of it using Wineskin Winery (which itself is having moderate issues in Mavericks, but they're work-around-able too).  Play with multiple players as player 1 seems stuck on the Line-In input (attempts to set standard built in mic input for player one has the program complain that player 1 has multiple recording devices associated with him).

Workaround is definitely not ideal.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro8,2
  Processor Name:   Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:   2.3 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache:   8 MB
  Memory:   8 GB
  Boot ROM Version:   MBP81.0047.B27
  SMC Version (system):   1.69f4
  Serial Number (system):   C2QGK07EDRJF
  Hardware UUID:   CE89DCB5-70AA-521B-90FD-A2CB7E6C99F9
  Sudden Motion Sensor:
  State:   Enabled

CodeWeaver

ALright, skip the bit about the player1/mic recording complaint.... it was just in the workaround anyway, but I figured out I didn't understand the interface.  Just turned off player 1 on the line-in record first.

Biggest problem with this workaround is that the settings aren't preserved.  Might be a result of Wineskin Winery itself being a little fickle on Mavericks.

As posted, though, mac version on the ISO does not work for me.

Renard

I have no clue why this can happen as of now.

Better workaround (maybe?): manual native installation
- Get the Mac version of Ultrastar Deluxe from http://ultrastardx.sourceforge.net/ and set it up as intended.
- Copy the Songs folder from the game ISO to the default hard drive Songs location:
Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/UltraStarDeluxe/Resources
- Copy the Theme from the ISO to the appropriate location:
(?)
- Launch the game, enter the Settings and switch to the MLK theme.

Alternative workaround:
- Install Performous from http://performous.org/
- Copy the Songs to: /Contents/share/games/performous/Songs (might have to create the Songs folder)
No available MLK theme, but the song pack is made to be compatible with this engine too.

CodeWeaver

Well, the first option seems not to have helped, with the manual install into a stock program. The stock program seems to run, but when I add the songs to the resources area, I end up with the program using 100% cpu and doing nothing.

I'll see what i can come up with.

CodeWeaver

Okay, new information.  The first time the application is copied over from the .dmg file for UltraStarDeluxe, it asks if you really want to run it, and if you say yes, it runs.  If the MLP stuff happens to be already installed in the correct places, it runs, and you can switch themes, play music, anything.

On any subsequent launch, though, it hangs.

This makes me suspect it is an incompatibility with Mavericks "Gatekeeper" application security feature somehow.  It might explain why I have problems getting Wineskin Winery to behave 100% correctly.

It does this even if I ostensibly disable Gatekeeper by telling OSX security to accept applications from anywhere.

The really stupid workaround is to keep a pristine copy of the application around to whack the one I'm running every time I want to run it.

I wonder if my system is b0rk3n somehow or if other people are having this issue with Mavericks.

I don't know how to fix this.

Smilley

Wierd. I distinctively remember posting about this error, but I can't find that thread. Anyway, something broke in one of the more recent OSX updates, and the game can only be run from command line using sudo.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

Indeed... I checked the USDX bug tracker, and that issue seems to be worked on.

Current state:
The official download works if you copy the app to the desktop.
It doesn't run from Application folder, only with sudo open...
There is a permission conflict.

The latest build doesn't run after compiling with fink.

Memi

Quote from: CodeWeaver on December 16, 2013, 04:00:43 AM
Okay, new information.  The first time the application is copied over from the .dmg file for UltraStarDeluxe, it asks if you really want to run it, and if you say yes, it runs.  If the MLP stuff happens to be already installed in the correct places, it runs, and you can switch themes, play music, anything.

On any subsequent launch, though, it hangs.

This makes me suspect it is an incompatibility with Mavericks "Gatekeeper" application security feature somehow.  It might explain why I have problems getting Wineskin Winery to behave 100% correctly.

It does this even if I ostensibly disable Gatekeeper by telling OSX security to accept applications from anywhere.

The really stupid workaround is to keep a pristine copy of the application around to whack the one I'm running every time I want to run it.

I wonder if my system is b0rk3n somehow or if other people are having this issue with Mavericks.

I don't know how to fix this.
You aren't the only one, I'm running Mavericks and it runs perfectly with no errors when you first copy it in from the .dmg to your computer. However the second time it just sits there and "This program is not responding lel"
The only way you can get it to run again is to delete it and re-copy the application from the .dmg
Its not the permission error, because this still happens if you copy it onto your desktop or any other folder. (With admin privilages)
Halp?
Glory to Uzbekistan!

CodeWeaver

There must be some metadata associated with running an unknown author program for the first time which is stashed somewhere, maybe in the executable bundle itself, I don't know.

Something that causes the computer to behave differently on running it for the first time compared to subsequent times when it already knows you accepted it.

And whatever the change in behaviour is subsequent times is b0rk3n.

It's just a guess, but the reason I at least slightly expect Apple's new app security in Mavericks is that I just ditched Mavericks and reinstalled Mountain Lion.

Now, the program launches just fine, each and every time.

I don't recommend something this heavy-handed for everybody, but I've got other applications that refuse to behave correctly in Mavericks in a similar vein.  Apps wrapped up in Wineskin Winery (a nice bundler tool that builds self-contained wine environments for PC executables) fails to run subsequent times under the "test run" facility, requiring a reinstall of a tiny part of the innards, and fails to run at all simply by double-clicking the wholly wrapped executable.

Mavericks does not seem to like certain kinds of third party apps, for whatever reason.  It doesn't happen on recognized author apps, nor on executables you generate yourself by way of a compiler (in my limited testing).

But in any case, I wish you all luck getting it to work in Mavericks.  I had to go back to Mountain Lion for this problem affecting other necessary apps, so I'm done here, until Mavericks stabilizes its security measures, or the apps catch up to whatever Apple now requires.

Pony on, all. /)

Renard

yayponies-eu

A patch to fix that is now available on the Extra page !
http://mylittlekaraoke.com/index.php?pages/Extras

Here a video of it being installed and launched :

For tech ponies :

We're not USDX Dev team, and we do not happen to have a team of people ready to fix any issue, so this is more a workaround than a fix, it create a copy of a vanilla USDX application in a hidden folder of the hard drive (/Applications/.USDXMavericks) and install a special launcher.

What happen when you open the launcher is that it move songs/themes (are they are really big) on it, remove actual USDX bundle, copy a new one and move back songs and themes in the correct path, finally it launch the game.

This is an ugly workaround, but it work without the user has to take care of anything, and it does work pretty quickly, as, USDX bundle is about 40MB without songs and themes

Memi

Quote from: Renard on December 18, 2013, 08:46:37 PM
Does Performous work as expected on Mavericks?
I tried using Performous on Mavericks, and it opened, but the screen froze and everything was completely white- I could only hear the BGM.
Either its a problem with the actual program or Mavericks is 2broken4u
Glory to Uzbekistan!

merlucin

Another workaround for mavericks is to copy the original app from the dmg to the Applications folder and then get info of the app using Apple + I. Once the info inspector is opened, check the checkbox that says "Locked". This will prevent MacOS of modifying the app once it has been launched for the first time.

yayponies-eu

Quote from: merlucin on September 06, 2014, 11:43:49 PM
Another workaround for mavericks is to copy the original app from the dmg to the Applications folder and then get info of the app using Apple + I. Once the info inspector is opened, check the checkbox that says "Locked". This will prevent MacOS of modifying the app once it has been launched for the first time.

Due to the way we manage thing with the additional disk 2, Its useless, and could broke stuff (and eventually forbid installing next updates)