Current status

Started by Renard, June 20, 2012, 12:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renard

I opened a Google Doc spreadsheet to track the overall progress of the project.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoG1Y_EMdd9odEZua1E0WXZoeFNwZVl3Mk1seEZORkE

So far:

Renard

Proposal: give up on publishing a S1-only song pack, and release what we got so far by the end of this week (including the current S2 songs and extras). How do you guys feel about this?

Renard

Next milestone: EverfreeNW!

Renard

Considering a feature freeze this Thursday Aug 9th on the already made songs. I'll check them thoroughly once more after that, then - if all is good - I'll add the instrumental-english versions. I'd appreciate if someone wants to start working on the few missing songs; unfortunately, I don't have much time right now!

The Karaoke project will be featured at BUCK in approx. two weeks, so I hope to show it in a playable state (at least for the current official S1 and S2 English songs).

I'd advise all of you who worked hard on the project to add a few lines to the "Credits" thread too ;)
That is, uh, if you don't mind

Also, a proposal: wait till mid-September for the public release. Yeah, that's in quite a long time, but that will also be right after the summer break and help wait till S3 is out later in (supposedly) mid-October.  Until then, the project will be shown in Cons, and bugfix'd if necessary - kinda like what the Mane6 team was planning to do with Fighting is Magic.

Renard

Just a quick note: I'll be going to EverfreeNW, and will be back from the USA by the beginning of September.

Smilley

I've seen the line-up. Pretty much every VA there except Ashleigh Ball. Have fun and go get 'em!
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

Profpatsch

You lucky fox.
It's basically a big party.

Ah, well, livestream will have to suffice. Only some hours left.

Renard

That was just a quick set-up test.

Smilley

It works, doesn't it?
Gotta love the anonymity blurring. Guess some people wouldn't want their Brony identity to become public outside a certain circle. Well, only a handful of my closest friends know, so I can understand that.
Also, yay for Singstar mics.  ;D
Did you get any celebrities to at least take a peek?

Profpatsch

This is so amazing.

If they like it enough, maybe we can bring them to give us the original instrumentals!

Smilley

*Girly squee*
SO AWESOME!   / )^3^( \

...Ok, I'm done.

Profpatsch

Weeeeell, if Hasbro really likes this they may come back to us for something official...
Am I not allowed to dream?

Renard

If anyone wants to correct / add songs to the project (esp. fanmade and other languages, as a demo), I'd strongly advise to complete them by Aug. 30th - I'm planning to burn a DVD and send it away to some random guys. :)

Of course, the project is not ending on that date!

Profpatsch

I'm going to look through all the songs the next days. If I find the time, that is.
There is still a lot of work to be done on the originals, they need to be absolutely perfect and I know even from a slow and short song like Gravity that 2/3 of the time go into making it perfect. You know the 80/20 rule? That's that.

Renard

Sweet. :D
(I expect more internet arguments from that, but hey - that's fine by me, that song pack is already AWESOME and it's likely to get even better!)

Profpatsch

Hm, let's correct it to tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday...

Renard

Will make a snapshot next Monday (3rd).

Renard

Some news:
- Made a snapshot and sent it to Andrews and Ingram before leaving the US. Yay!
- Now really back from EverfreeNW! It was a blast. Still on a personal side, I'm in the process of moving, reducing my available free time to work on the project for now.
- Would love to publicly release the game before Season 3 airs. That means: it should come out soon!
(? any objection to that?)

As of now, the release plan is as follow:
- release a single (huge) pack containing everything that's in the /RTM/ folder
+ provide a Windows-based installer to make things easier to set up (? maybe)
+ release additional physical assets to bring the game to life (ie. printable cover and game manual)
+ release a pony Ultrastar theme with the game
+ start working on a way to share individual songs
+ move the development files from Dropbox to something more practial to use (access control, versioning, storage space)
- make changes to the forum, switching from a development-focus one to something more engaging for a small community
+ encourage people to submit ideas for new songs
+ encourage people to share Youtube videos (or other media) of them playing the game
+ hire some forum staff ("community managers", ie. mods willing to help people around, not just delete spam)
+ correct the domain name issues (?)
- spread the word about the project!

Work on S3 songs will begin as soon as we have access to high-quality audio and video assets. The two S3 "spoiler songs" will eventually be replaced by their higher-quality counterpart by then (no more telesync'd background videos!).