Portable (No install) version

Started by Tsaukpaetra, January 01, 2014, 07:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaukpaetra

I've made a package for UltraStarDX and Performous that should allow the game to be played immediately after downloading and mounting the images.
They're portablized versions and are preconfigured to search both possible default install locations, as well as every drive in Windows from D: up (in case it's just mounted and not installed).

I've tested a bit in Windows 7 and 8.1 both 32 and 64 bit, as long as the requirements are met it should work exactly the same as if it were installed.

UltraStarDX: Download
Performous: Download

Feedback is encouraged!

Renard

Hello!

What exactly did you change in these versions (how did you "portabilized" them)? Keep in mind USDX reads and writes stuff in %appdata%, unsure how you handled that. :)

Tsaukpaetra

Quote from: Renard on January 02, 2014, 05:20:43 PM
Hello!

What exactly did you change in these versions (how did you "portabilized" them)? Keep in mind USDX reads and writes stuff in %appdata%, unsure how you handled that. :)
I used virtualization software known as Cameyo, which prevents a program from making changes to the computer (outside of the sandbox). Whatever gets changed by the program goes into a folder called vos in the appdata folder (including attempts to write to appdata itself, kinda meta). More info on the Cameyo website, but it basically means you don't have to install it to use it.