Error Thingy

Started by TirzahLPS, July 19, 2013, 12:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yayponies-eu

Quote from: TirzahLPS on July 19, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
Oh my PWNIES! Thank you!!!! But, how do I sing? I have a microphone automatically installed in my mac, how do I use it?

I invite you to read the manual available at the root of the ISO file.

TirzahLPS

Read it, the record settings don't show at all. Its a blank screen, my mic is on but I cannot sing

yayponies-eu

You doesnt really have a lot of luck ...

Sadely, there no fix for that, I can redirect you to ultrastar alternative, Performous, http://performous.org/ , copy it to your application folder, go back to a terminal, then type

open /Applications/Performous.app/Contents/share/games/performous/

and copy the DVD songs folder in here and use it (performous).

You may want to delete Ultrastar as described in my previous message, as it can free up to 5/6GB of disk space !

TirzahLPS

:( I want to play this so bad, it doesn't work

yayponies-eu

Performous will play with ponies, just not the same as what we recommend nor what we documented.

You have two very rare bug, at my knowledge, you're the only one to have problem with Mac OS X installer, you also have the only computer from apple where internal microphone version do not work with ultrastar deluxe.

Workaround are simple :

Install performous instead or buy an USB microphone :p

TirzahLPS

I have a USB Mic, I tried to use this as well but it still wont work

StarStep

Ok just to make sure you are going to the right place, when you start up the game it should say sing, party, tools, quit.  Under tools there is options which should take you to the screen which has eight selections including record. Inside record you should be able to select your mic then change the channel1 from off to 1 to make it work. Is that the place where you are getting the blank screen? Also what do you mean by blank? Is the entire screen blank or is it just blank to the right of soundcard, input etc? Anyway just try performous out like yayponies said if you can't get it to work on ultrastar.

TirzahLPS

Yes, and when I mean blank, it wont show any of the options, it dosen't freeze and it shows how the menu looks like but I cannot see or edit any of the options

TirzahLPS

I dragged the "songs" and "themes" folder into the Proformeus file and it says "No songs found".. D: I am having such bad luck

yayponies-eu

Please look to Performous documentation, https://github.com/performous/performous/wiki/Songs#wiki-Mac_OS_X about songs

About themes, they ARE NOT compatible with performous, so don't copy them, in best case it gonna be useless, in worst case it would broke performous.

TirzahLPS

Eh, don't worry, I don't need a mic. As long as I can see the awesome lyrics, audio, and video I am fine! :D Thanks for you help!

TirzahLPS

I still though would really like to know how well I can sing Failure/Success song... but, it will do :)

hardcyder

I had the same problem. When I looked under "Record", the screen was blank except for the "back" button. So I quite the program and opened up my mac's System Preferences. From there I clicked on "Sound" under the Hardware section. On the sound menu, I made sure that my internal mic was selected and working. Then I turned off "Use ambient noise reduction" and restarted UltraStar Deluxe. I don't know why, but that fixed the issue for me. Now when I go to the Record screen, I see the options to pick a source and set the player's channel.

Also, after UltraStar recognized my microphone, it didn't matter if I re-enabled the "Use ambient noise reduction". It continued to work. I've no idea why this worked. I don't think it was a coincidence because I didn't change anything else, and I'd had this issue since July as well. This was just the first time I messed with the "Use ambient noise reduction" since it seemed unrelated. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

I'm using v.1.1 on a Macbook Pro (2008), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, and running OX 10.7.5 in case anyone was wondering.

Renard

Oh - so that might be the reason why Macbook integrated microphones did not work? Interesting and good to know, thanks for posting that! :)

(I still strongly recommend using an external microphone; get a cheap Rock Band or Singstar one if you can ;))

Memi

Quote from: hardcyder on November 21, 2013, 09:53:37 PM
I had the same problem. When I looked under "Record", the screen was blank except for the "back" button. So I quite the program and opened up my mac's System Preferences. From there I clicked on "Sound" under the Hardware section. On the sound menu, I made sure that my internal mic was selected and working. Then I turned off "Use ambient noise reduction" and restarted UltraStar Deluxe. I don't know why, but that fixed the issue for me. Now when I go to the Record screen, I see the options to pick a source and set the player's channel.

Also, after UltraStar recognized my microphone, it didn't matter if I re-enabled the "Use ambient noise reduction". It continued to work. I've no idea why this worked. I don't think it was a coincidence because I didn't change anything else, and I'd had this issue since July as well. This was just the first time I messed with the "Use ambient noise reduction" since it seemed unrelated. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

I'm using v.1.1 on a Macbook Pro (2008), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, and running OX 10.7.5 in case anyone was wondering.
I've found another solution that works for me (It might work for others but i'm not sure)
Go to http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/download/LineIn.zip and download LineIn. Its an app that redirects sound inputs/outputs.

When its open, the options should be:
"Input From: Built In Microphone - Internal Microphone"
"Output From: Default System Output"

When I opened the game again and went to "Record" all the microphone settings were there instead of that blank page with only "back".

However if you do this you will be able to hear everything your mic picks up again, which is a bit of a nuisance but something I will have to deal with seeing as there are no other ways I have discovered to make the game pick up my internal mic :(
I'm going to get a USB mic as soon as I can.
Glory to Uzbekistan!

Renard

This tool might be useful indeed. I'll bundle it in the Mac install folder of the upcoming release, just in case it may help people.
Thanks for sharing that tip!

(also, the game is definitely a lot more fun with a dedicated microphone :P)

Memi

I'm not sure how it happens but I think when you pass sounds through LineIn the game detects that the internal mic is currently being used by the system and therefore it shows up ingame.
There might be a way to use LineIn to make the game recognise the internal mic without you having to listen to your own voice, but I haven't found a way to do that.
Glory to Uzbekistan!

Memi

I got it!
I have a ridiculously overcomplicated method of solving the problem, but it works.
First get LineIn - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/download/LineIn.zip
Then get an application called Soundflower (aka Soundflowerbed). - https://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/detail?name=Soundflower-1.6.6b.dmg

Its kinda like LineIn, it allows you to reroute audio to other apps.
Once you have them both, have soundflower (it should be "Soundflower (2ch)") output to None (OFF).
Have LineIn input from your Built in/Internal Mic, and output to Soundflower 2ch.

This should make UltraStar recognise the Internal Mic without you having to hear your own voice as you sing.
This is the overcomplicated method of making your internal mic work if the "disable ambient noise" thing doesn't.
Glory to Uzbekistan!