Flickering screen.

Started by KingChrysalias, May 27, 2014, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingChrysalias

So... After launching game screen starts to flicker. Here is video showing issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1k-UWxaXY

PsychicWalnut

A problem like that is usually caused by poor quality video drivers.  In other words, you may have used an auto-update feature in your operating system to update your video drivers.  Such drivers are notorious for not handling heavy graphics correctly.

As your first step to correct this, I would recommend you visit the website of your computer manufacturer and get the latest video drivers for your notebook model.

KingChrysalias

Video card drivers are newest. Video card: ATI Radeon Xpress Series

PsychicWalnut

At this point, it would be helpful to know more details about your computer.

PC or Mac, OS version, memory, etc.

It may be that you have a large number of programs running in the background that are fighting for CPU time.  Having more than one anti-virus running at once has been known to cause such things (at least on the PC side, I'm not too familiar with Macs).  But let's start with the basic system info above.

Version numbers of your graphics drivers could also prove useful.

Renard

Did you install your drivers directly from AMD/ATI's website?
I've tried looking around for a link, but couldn't - you might be luckier than me with the autodetection feature.

PsychicWalnut

Hrm...

Well... I can tell right now that the problem is definitely the video drivers.  ATI never made Windows 7 drivers for that graphics chipset.  As such, you are likely using the built-in 'compatible' drivers.  Because of this, I expect any game with 3D graphics to perform the same if not worse.

When your notebook was new, sometime between 2006 and 2008, it was likely running Windows XP or Vista as an operating system.  Those were the last operating systems that have fully functional drivers for your notebook.

The bad part is... In order for your graphics to function properly, you would need to revert your system back to its original operating system.
The good part is... Once you back up any important data you should be able to run the restore program that came with your notebook... It might be a CD, or a special command when the system starts up.

One thing to note:  Given the age of your system, it may not have completely smooth video playback on the more intense songs.

KingChrysalias

So changing system to Windows Vista may help?

Diponi

I wouldn't go as far as downgrading to Vista. The latest driver from Asus' website is 8.12 for Vista, but right now you have version 8.561, which I'm guessing is from Windows Update. Afaik, the current version could even be win7-compatible.

I'm on a phone so I'll keep this short. Just a quick warning that you probably shouldn't install vista right away.

KingChrysalias

For now Im just downloading it :P And I think its something with OpenGL maybe? Because Half-Life 1 with OpenGL choosen is flickering too.
@Edit: Also downgrading wouldn't be a bad idea. With Win7 laptop is launching for 5mins and shutting down for 10 xD

Diponi

Quick question; does the game flicker if you run it windowed (fullscreen off)?

KingChrysalias

Quick answer :P : Tried. Window was transparent so couldnt do anything and had to reinstall.

Renard

I'm pretty sure you'll get more performance in Linux with the open-source ATI drivers for that card, anyway. It probably still won't be pretty thought; you'll probably have to disable the background videos, as I'm not sure how well your CPU/GPU can decode 720p H.264 streams.

You could try dual-booting your laptop with a lightweight Ubuntu derivative such as Lubuntu. Ultrastar can then be installed from this PPA. It's a bit of work (especially since Lubuntu is quite bare bone), but it's not as daunting as it sounds.

KingChrysalias

Okaay... It's working now only windowed, but is working. Deleted previous video card driver and get Catalyst 9.3. Anyway... thx for help