Get your @derpy.fr email address!

Started by Renard, June 10, 2012, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renard

I'm starting a little contest. As I own the derpy.fr domain name, I can give out a few email addresses. Only a few, though, because it's just a domain name and there's no hosting plan behind it at all (hence, the redirect to another domain in order to host this project).

I can give out 5 email addresses. Because that's a very limited quantity, they will be given as a prize to our top contributors.
They will look like: something@derpy.fr, with "something" being anything you want (if not already taken).

Webmail access: http://mail.derpy.fr/

I might extend this contest to provide @rainbowdash.fr email addresses later on.

BloodStar

Smilley

I've been thinking. We could create at least one "official" MLK E-Mail address, for making requests for fanmade songs and vids, maybe an official Youtube Channel as well.
Once we go live, we could use a feedback E-Mail, as well.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

Indeed. But who will monitor that? This address should maybe behave like a mailing list or something.
I actually intended to revamp the forum once the first song pack is officially release, to make some room to what's unrelated to the development itself (such as requests from users).

I'd enjoy an official Youtube channel too, but it would need some proper advertising and spark some life (regularly uploading videos, maybe even creating video announcement). I'm not certain there will be enough content to feed it. Then, again, its administrative access will need to be shared between a group of users - I don't know if a Youtube channel can be administered by multiple user accounts.

Smilley

I figured we are all responsible and mature enough that we could share those E-mail addresses among the handful of regular contributers, y'know, so we don't each need one of our own. It'd probably feel a bit less weird than to use a Gmail account that could be anyone's, to make requests for videos, mp3-samples and such. Or maybe that's just me.
We could also run the Youtube account off that E-Mail. About contributing there you'll have to count me mostly out. I couldn't edit a video to save my life, and I don't have that much of a visual creative vein.
As for the feedback mail address, we could either use it as a mailing list, or with each of us simply answering those questions that concern our expertise.
About restructuring the board: is it possible to make certain subboards invite-only? I'm OK with discussing the txt-s on a professional level, but I wouldn't want everyone posting there. I'm afraid it could lead to the threads being spammed, and important posts becoming lost.

Profpatsch

I'm actually setting something like that up as we speak for another project of mine.

The idea behind this (since I only own a simple webhosting contract with a simple webspace):
Submit form -> sends mail To:info@... with email of submitter in CC: (he receives it, too).
info@... has a simple mail forward to all people on the list.
People on the list hit "reply to all" and send their answer. This way the answer is sent  TO:info@... and the original person as CC:.
Everyone on the list receives the answer, too, because the info@ distributes it, too.
If you forget to reply to all, the answer will only distributed to the list.

This way everyone always knows whether the question is already dealt with, even if someone forgets the "reply to all"

I hope this makes sense.

Smilley

Looks solid. I'd say you should put the mailing list addresses into BCC, so the answering person hitting "reply all" wouldn't give out all staff e-mail addresses to the submitter. Also, you wouldn't send 2 copies of your answer to the rest of the staff (one directly, one through the mailing list).

Profpatsch

The forward doesn't include all the staff members, it's simply the exact copy of the original message that gets sent to every address on the list. All the asker gets to see is the address of the replier. And that's what a @derpy.fr mail is for, isn't it? ;)

We actually finished the script today, it works like a charm (maybe a bit ugly).
We could share if, if you wanted to use it for this project.

floogulinc

I see you are using Google Apps. I have a google apps account that still allows unlimited users for free and i could add your domain to it for email.