Just another newbie introducing himself.

Started by Colt Zero, June 08, 2014, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt Zero

So... Hello to all you kind (at least I'm hope) folks. I suppose you may call me Colt Zero, or mayhaps MC Voxel? I chose that dumb name "Colt Zero" ages ago, and felt that since I had already chosen to use that name on several MLP related sites, I might as well stick with it. In terms of the MC Voxel, well... Don't let it fool you, that was actually a bit of a joke as I'm primarily a programmer and I tend to talk about techy game development stuff quite a bit, including in teamspeak. I had one day decided to sing some rap in teamspeak and one of my friends dubbed me "MC Voxel". As I'm pretty sure you don't know this, Voxel means Volumetric Pixel, which is basically a concept used when designing certain kinds of 3D engines/games. One of the most popular games out there that uses the most basic idea behind voxels is Minecraft, and even then it's not exactly true to how voxels are meant to be designed.

Anyway... Now that I'm done rambling. I just want to say that about a year and a half ago, I started taking the idea of singing more seriously. though I still suck quite terribly. And well, even though I know It's rather late to finally start looking into using games to aid me in controlling my pitch, it is still a fact that I've never really played a singing game before, and my pitch can get all over the place. So yeah... I'm thinking MLK might help me, even if it's just a little bit.

Renard

Hi there! Yes, voxels are fun.

I sure hope MLK can help you practice singing, I know such games (Singstar, Rock Bands, etc) did help me a bit! Keep in mind that the gameplay requires mimicking the original singers - the next step is to make the songs your own :P

Colt Zero

Quote from: Renard on June 09, 2014, 07:06:57 PM
Hi there! Yes, voxels are fun.

I sure hope MLK can help you practice singing, I know such games (Singstar, Rock Bands, etc) did help me a bit! Keep in mind that the gameplay requires mimicking the original singers - the next step is to make the songs your own :P

Hello. I actually have a question as this has been bothering me and I don't know what to make of it. Is there some kind of cap on the displayable pitch with the record section of the options? Like, no matter what kind of sound I fed into my mic, it always capped off at F#4 but never goes into 5 or above. Now... If it was just my voice that I tested, then I would probably understand, but even my whistling and my mom's singing seemed to hit the same cap. At this point, I'm pretty sure that there is either some kind of pitch cap on the game or a pitch cap on my mic.

Diponi

Quote from: Colt Zero on June 09, 2014, 07:42:37 PM
Hello. I actually have a question as this has been bothering me and I don't know what to make of it. Is there some kind of cap on the displayable pitch with the record section of the options? Like, no matter what kind of sound I fed into my mic, it always capped off at F#4 but never goes into 5 or above. Now... If it was just my voice that I tested, then I would probably understand, but even my whistling and my mom's singing seemed to hit the same cap. At this point, I'm pretty sure that there is either some kind of pitch cap on the game or a pitch cap on my mic.
When trying to play the game with the piano, I did find out that the pitch is limited - it should cover any normal vocal range, unless you're singing Der Hölle Rache or something. Ultrastar recognizes pitches correctly from C2 to B5 (or C to b'', if you will). You're right about the game never showing the fifth octave -  it always shows (note)4 instead of (note)5, but the pitches are correct up to B5.