Well hello

Started by Profpatsch, August 14, 2012, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profpatsch

Since there is no introduction subforum or thread, I'm going to post this here.

I first saw Performous on Galacon this weekend and I thought: "Wow, this is the perfect software to finally learn how to hit the pitch correctly".
When I went to the site one hour ago, my jaw dropped when I saw it's open source and Linux native.
Then I searched for MLP karaoke files (they had nearly all of them at Galacon) and found this.

Count me in.

I'm deep into brony music (actually wanting to start producing myself for quite a while now) and this is exactly my thing.

Let's get to it.
Where can I start?

Renard

Hello and welcome to the project! I'm glad they featured Performous at Galacon :)

There's a few missing songs (most of Pinkie's ones are HARD to sync), mainly
- S1E03 - Pinkie's Gala Fantasy Song
- S1E03 - Pinkie's Ticket Song
- S1E26 - I'm at the Grand Galloping Gala
- S2E11 - The Heart Carol
- S2E13 - Piggy Dance
- S2E18 - Welcome Song
- (Extra) A Hop, Skip and a Jump (Demo)
- (All) My Little Pony Main Theme (Show / short version)

The current status can be seen on this Google Spreadsheet. Everything with a red "LYRICS" cell isn't done (merely suggested); you can suggest other songs too!

As for tools, some people use the built-in UltraStar editor (Windows-only), but there are alternatives such as Composer or YASS - or even directly editing the .TXT files.

The current media files (MP3s, completed files) are stored in a Dropbox. Send me a PM with your email address to be granted access to it.

Thanks!

Smilley

Welcome aboard, Profpatsch!

Y'know, what you wrote got me thinking. Were those songs in German or English? My first thought was: "Cool, there's another group like us". Given the size of the Brony community and our affinity for both music and all things PC, that's not unreasonable. We may hook up, compare notes and stuff. But then I thought about how I did a fairly thorough search on MLP karaoke before starting to produce my own stuff. Not that there were many sites that upload Ultrastar songs that don't have you jumping through hoops by registering and payment options (which is frankly quite ridiculous given that US and the other programs are all freeware). But I digress...
Anyway, that planted the thought in my mind that they were using our, more specifically my songs from before I joined up here. It fits too well: I first uploaded them on a German site, where they were found by a German board. And there just happened to be a Performous booth on the next German Con.
Thing is, if this were all true, they never asked for my permission. I have an account on both sites and they'd just have needed to PM me. I would have given it to them, probably even polish up some of my songs as I did for Everfree NW. They could have plugged this project. I fear they might have used my (in hindsight) atrocious version of Pony Pokey and my less than perfect version of Find a Pet. And it would also have been good for my ego, but that's not quite as important.
Sorry for the rant.

Aaaaanyway, if you need help with anything, feel free to ask.

EDIT: And having seen a video of the booth, my worst fears came true. It was my work; and Moonsparkle's and Myke Greywolf's.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Profpatsch

Thanks for the kind words.

Smilley, you should forgive them for this. They really had a sh*tload of work on the whole event and maybe just forgot about mentioning you. Nearly half their equipment was malfunctioning and they had real big trouble to keep most of the stuff running.
Ah, well, I guess your work will get lots of attention at EFNW this weekend, which is a tiny-teeny bit bigger than Galacon.  ;)

Smilley

Yeah, I guess you're right. And Galacon is likely the second biggest European Brony-Con, and my stuff being featured there ain't that bad, either.
And I know the whole Brony community is playing it fast and loose with copyright law and we're only allowed to do all this stuff because neither the Hub nor Hasbro cares much for the fan backlash they'd get if they started throwing out Seize and Desist orders left and right.
Them lacking a certain... etiquette was just what rubbed me the wrong way, I guess. And the fact that Pony Pokey and Find a Pet really improved since then, and it could have been better.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!