Fighting is Magic

Started by Renard, January 05, 2013, 02:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renard

Chances are that, if you've been on the internets, you've heard of pastel ponies.This is a fighting game about those.

Developed by the Mane6 team, Fighting is Magic is... a fighting game. Duh. But it's not your average fangame: it has quite a lot of depth, and has its very own visual and gameplay styles. Having tried it, I can only assure you that it is indeed great and very fun to play.

But as of today, I'm truly impressed. Not only the team managed to create a wonderful product with their hard work, they also made it to GameSpot, taking over a part of the videogaming press. That's a remarkable achievement there, and I do want to congratulate them for it. This is awesome.

Edit: they didn't only made it to a random Gamespot article. They actually made it to the front page.

Smilley

This just in: Fighting is Magic got the C&D hammer.
My question is: why now? After over a year of development, an appearance on last year's EVO, an article on friggin' Gamespot, mere months before the official release of V1.0, with the blood, sweat and tears of the developers streaming into this project.
And it invariably leads to the question: are we next? For its whole development, Fighting is Magic was the benchmark of what Hasbro lets its fans do. Its ban does not only leave many fans disappointed, it also pushes creative bronies into a stage of uncertainty.
But fear not: we will continue as long as we are allowed.

EDIT: There's a petition to save this game. It's not legally binding, but maybe 100.000 voices will convince the Hasbro legal team to look for an alternative.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

Looks like the legal representatives wanted to end this fiscal year with a bit more cash to me. If I'm not mistaken, this wasn't a choice made by Hasbro's own legal department (although they now will have to abide by that C&D too) but a nominated subcontractor. This entity's aim is to detect IP infringements, send such letters, and they send a bill to Hasbo saying that they did a fine work protecting their creations and deserve money accordingly.

That's a wild guess, of course. I'm not a lawyer.

Of course, now that Hasbro is aware of that IP infringement, they have no choice but to comply with the sent C&D according to American laws. If they don't, they'll lose the MLP trademark as a whole, and you all know they'll want to re-use it in ten years for another kids generation, like they do with all their IPs. Their only real option would be to hand out a license to ManeSix (this happened before, with WeLoveFine and a few DeviantArt artists).

On the other side, there's a fine lady who should be praised for taking a bold initiative:

Renard

Renard

The project lives on!
http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html

QuoteWe'd like you all to warmly welcome Lauren Faust to the team:

Hey folks! I'm so super psyched to be a part of this! I hope I can do my little part to help Mane6 finish up this game in a way that stays true to the spirit of the original—but in a way that can freely be shared! I hope you like what we come up with. -LF

Renard