Discord (TheLivingTombstone Remix)

Started by Moonsparkle, September 28, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonsparkle

I want to make the Tombstone Remix for Discord^^
Average score: 8820
3 highest song scores: I am Octavia (9860), BBBFF (9640), Great to be Different (9590)
3 most sung songs: The Moon Rises (11x), Don't Mine at Night (10x), Daring Do (8x)

Smilley

Go ahead. You can use the pitches from the EuroChaos version.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Moonsparkle

3 highest song scores: I am Octavia (9860), BBBFF (9640), Great to be Different (9590)
3 most sung songs: The Moon Rises (11x), Don't Mine at Night (10x), Daring Do (8x)

Smilley

You're welcome.  :D
Gave it a whirl. Note timings and pitches are good, but you need to doublecheck your linebreaks. It's not noticable on Performous, but on USDX, there are two entire lines that get swallowed by the incorrect breaks.
Also, for me, the video was just a weird mess of static running at a stunning 4 FPS on USDX, so I had to disable it entirely. Could you look into that and re-encode the video file if nessessary?
That's the major, but I'd like to point out three minor issues as well.
For one, the first lines of both verses are oddly long, especially compared to the rest of the pacing. you could split them in two, as in "I'm not a fan of puppeteers, / But I've a nagging fear" and "I'm fine with changing status quo, / But not in letting go".
On the other hand, it'd be better to merge the lines "No / I can't move at all". The single short "No" line is just aggravating to play, especially if you don't know the song that well.
Lastly, try to shift the notes so silent consonants (like the "S" in Discord) have no pitch to them. The song works as is, but this would add a last layer of polish.

Other than that, good job. Fast-paced songs like this aren't easy to do.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Moonsparkle

Reuploaded
I've changed to "No, I can't move at all"
An fixed the Video (it was Full-HD and now HD-720p^^)

Profpatsch

Sorry, but it's completely off-key. Try transposing it up one step or two.

Diponi

This is probably one of the more often played songs, so I figured I could spruce it up a bit. Biggest changes are fixing the pitches, which were all one semitone off, and changing the mp3 from the radio edit to the original version. This new file is also of higher quality and has an instrumental.

Full changes:
  • Cover has been resized to 300x300
  • A less distracting, textless background has been constructed from vectors
  • song.mp3 was the radio edit and has been replaced with the original version
  • A matching instrumental.mp3 has been added
  • Video has been re-rendered to:
    • cut silence from the start,
    • add the background image to the end of the video, and
    • encode at higher quality (as original video was a little choppy)
  • All pitches were off by a semitone, this has been corrected
  • Pitches, positions, line breaks have been checked
  • The amount of golden notes has been reduced significantly

[spoiler=Original message]
So the pitches are wrong, because they're from the original version, which is a semitone lower. Also, needs a ton of breaks between notes. I'll do a fix as soon as ownCloud returns to normal.
Also, this is the 2:25 long radio edit. Should this be redone with the original (3:15, i.e. the instrumental part is a minute longer)? That'd allow for an instrumental version.

On a more general note, maybe I should've started checking old songs long before the release. Some are just impossible to sing well, and that's pretty annoying. Oh well, maybe I won't make any new songs until the released ones are all good, it's not like there are hundreds of them...[/spoiler]

Diponi

Hey Renard, did you mean to remove the video from Fixes, or did it just get caught in the crossfire of deleting redundant files? (same goes for Princess of the Night)

Now, I understand if you want to keep the filesize of fixes as small as possible. After all the old video kind of works (although it does show a black screen for a minute at the end...) Just thought I'd ask before I start figuring out the videogap for the old vid.

Renard

Quote from: Diponi on November 03, 2014, 08:16:19 PMdid it just get caught in the crossfire of deleting redundant files?

That - my bad, sorry! I restored the two videos you mentioned. :)