[S5E14] Rules Of Rarity

Started by Smilley, September 13, 2015, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilley

Again, since the last thread was swallowed up by the pits of Tartarus.
EDIT: Oh yeah, DIBS!
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

PsychicWalnut

Quote from: Smilley on September 13, 2015, 01:00:12 PM
EDIT: Oh yeah, DIBS!

Um... does that mean you wanna do the audio too?

Smilley

Nah, that's your domain. I'm only good for the notes. Also, good to see you back!

PsychicWalnut

Just fyi...

There will be a small delay in getting the audio for this song ready.  My motherboard decided to play some tricks on me and would endlessly restart. (usually it's a power supply that causes this... go figure?)

I just finished rebuilding my system using older parts.

Smilley

Fun times. Just a few weeks ago, I had to swap my power source, too. Fortunately I have two other PCs I use to cannibalize pieces from.

PsychicWalnut

I managed to put the files on the cloud using the web client.
I made my typical 3 files... Regular, instrumental, and pitch reference.

Enjoy!

Smilley

Done! Just needs video and artwork.

Renard

PsychicWalnut

and now we need a couple bug fixes...

'guarantee equality' needs to be changed to 'guaranteed quality'  both times.

and even though it sounds like 'I fashion only makes me want to shriek'. The first word is 'My' and not 'I'.

The only other thing I don't like is that 'windowpane' is one word instead of two... but it's one of those words where both versions are correct.

Smilley

I was a bit torn with the quality/equality part, too, but if you listen to it closely, there's a distinct stop in the "e". And that makes sense in context, too. Each dress gets an equal share of TLC.
Also, listen to the pitch reference. It is definitely "I fashion". I know, it would make more sense with "my", but that's not what is sung.

PsychicWalnut

True, but the subtitles actually seem spot on in this song.
After all, it's not like Rarity is making dresses in 'Our Town'.

A fun thing for you to try is sing these two words "guarantee quality" and make it sound like the last word is not 'equality'.  Chances are you can't.

The whole 'My' vs 'I' thing is a singers trick that went wrong in this song.  Most of the time you can drop the first consonant sound of a word to help catch your breath and people will still understand the word.  Yeah, I learned this trick in my chorus.  It comes in handy.

Smilley

QuoteA fun thing for you to try is sing these two words "guarantee quality" and make it sound like the last word is not 'equality'.  Chances are you can't.
This was one of the reasons why I was torn, too. But if you listen to the second one, the second "e" is actually at a different pitch.

QuoteTrue, but the subtitles actually seem spot on in this song.
After all, it's not like Rarity is making dresses in 'Our Town'.
That's what happens when a word becomes tainted by circumstance. Similarly, I cannot think about a movie/game/book's plot without remembering the "I watch it for the plot" meme. -.-°

QuoteThe whole 'My' vs 'I' thing is a singers trick that went wrong in this song.  Most of the time you can drop the first consonant sound of a word to help catch your breath and people will still understand the word.  Yeah, I learned this trick in my chorus.  It comes in handy.
Here's the thing: do we go for accuracy or grammatical correctness? I personally favor the former, but if/when the song gets an official sing-along version, I'm open to change it.

PsychicWalnut

I slowed things down a bit... I still think I'm right on the 'guaranteed quality'.
But maybe you want to listen for yourself.

Slowed down sound snippet

In any event, I will debate no further.  After all... It's just a game. (an awesome game, but still a game.)

Renard

I've corrected a few things:
- Guaranteed quality → yes, also in accordance to the subs and that wikia
- "I" → "My", I just think it makes more sense reading it on screen (but that's very debatable, again)
- A few timings here and there to prevent USDX page clipping

Uploading a new version :)
(You'll need to re-download the file to submit scores to the leaderboards)

Smilley

Don't you love it when discussions like that arise from an episode that deals with artistic integrity...
Anyway, if those are official subs (the wiki is fan-based, so I wouldn't use it as a final authority), I can live with it.

PsychicWalnut

After careful analysis, I agree that Smilley is right with regards to the 'My' vs. 'I' line.  It is an extended sentence, and when put into context, 'I' is the correct word.  Simply put, the word 'I' is in the middle of the sentence, and not the start of a new one.

It's just so darn funny to think Rarity would say that her fashion wants to make her shriek...  but it's just not that simple.

Renard

Oh! This makes sense. I assumed that what was implied on this line was, "My (mass produced) fashion (now) only makes me want to shriek".

Smilley

I can't say I don't feel a bit vindicated here.
Anyway, might I ask who put the Yao Ming meme picture in the WiP folder and why?

PsychicWalnut

Yeah, I'm glad you caught the 'I', and I'm sorry that I wanted to change it before doing a more in depth analysis.

I promise to do some Twilight-style breathing exercises before dashing to lyric changes in the future.
I guess I was just too excited after having a new official song after such a long break.

Oh, and I have no idea about the picture.  I only put MP3's on the cloud... one third of which always get deleted.  ;)