[S3E04] Babs Seed

Started by Smilley, November 25, 2012, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilley

I wanted to have a thread open on this song. I'm not sure I'll have the time to make it within the next week or two... heck I might not get around to it this year, but I'll try my very best. If someone else beats me to it, I'll hold no grudges.
On a sidenote, the episode is a few hours old and there are already remixes on Youtube.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

Smilley

Read that one, too. We'll be there, waiting.
Maybe once an OST is released. Actually, I wonder why Hasbro hasn't done that yet. They have over an hour of first-class song material already, not counting background music, which is equally good.

TechnoColt

I saw that nobody had done this one yet, so I went ahead and did it. I'll have a link to it just as soon as it's done uploading to mediafire. It might need some aesthetic tweaking, since I think I forgot some dashes on one-syllable/two-note words. It is 5am here, after all.

EDIT: Deleted the old zip and uploading the new one.

Renard

TechnoColt

No problem. I'm always happy to lend a hoof.

Smilley

Good first version, though I have a few suggestions, if I may.
- The timing needs a bit of finetuning at a few places, especially with the words starting or ending on silent consonants (S, F, etc.). Load the song up in the USDX editor and press P. You'll hear where the clicks are slightly off.
- At those lines where there are quick alterations, such as "She's just a bully from the East", you pitched them as 7-6-7-6-... Try 7-5 instead. I think it fits better.
- I'd rewrite the line starting "Isn't it sad...". For me, the following pitches seemed better placed: 5-5-5-5-3-3-5-5-7-5
- During the last "Babs Seed" lines, the first one's off, but the second and third are good.
- For some reason, USDX won't run 1080p videos correctly, and I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. Could you re-upload it with a 720p video? Though we'll probably use Renard's videos in the long run, once he's set up.

TechnoColt

Thank you for the suggestions:

1) I'll be sure to look at the timing and fine-tune it.
2) I'm not so sure about that pitch change. When I hit [ctrl] + [shift] + P to play both the singing and the midi, it sounds pretty spot on to my ear.
3) Ah, you're right. I was hearing the harmonization, not the root of the chord.
4) Fixed the notes.
5) Sure, I'll get a 720p version. Strange, the 1080p works fine on my system. -shrug-

EDIT: New download link http://www.mediafire.com/?83lyhb2yxuraiwu

Smilley

You're welcome. And thanks for your fast work.

@ 2) Try Shift+P. It's not much, and maybe it's just me, but I think 7-5 fits better. It's no biggie, and it won't matter much unless you play on Hard and are extremely accurate.
@ 5) Probably my craggy old Radeon X1600. And, y'know, it's not that much about me, but others who might run into the same problem.

EDIT: Found a few more minor things playing the song again.
+1) In the first "She's just a bad bad seed", the first "bad" should be a 7.
+2) Check your linebreaks. Especially towards the end of the song, notes get cut off.
+3) In the lines "Everywhere we turn", the "turn" should have a text cue denoting it's two seperate notes, either as "tu-urn" or "turn~". I think we should do something similar to the "yeah"-s, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't make it look odd. For me, "yeah~" would mean more something like "ye-eah", for example. That's why I'm not too fond of that spelling, by the way. OTOH, something like "E-yeah" would probably fit it better, but I'm not sure how that'd look like.

Renard

My approach would be to just cut the "yeah" in "ye" and "ah" with no spaces at all.

That's an arbitrary split, but I think that the text should display without any interruption (even Singstar feels odd to most people I've casually played with because it uses "- - - -" trails, and there's close to no visual cue at all to what they're related too on-screen). I also tend to think that you just never can sing a song right the first time, but since it's a learning curve, the syllable cut feels natural after a few tries even without that kind of clue.

It also feels a bit more like karaoke (which just displays the plain lyrics), even if you set USDX to use the "ball" mode ? cf Disney karaoke DVDs for instance.
(Oh, we could totally add this stuff to a USDX pony theme!)

That's debatable, of course. ;)

Renard

Profpatsch

It took me some minutes on the piano but I now definitely think that the end of the alternating yeah and the alternating parts ("hide we gonna fail") are half steps.

Renard

QuoteFile Blocked for Violation
Well. Could someone reupload it? Thanks.

Smilley

Renard

yayponies-eu

Gonna reupload a video and an audio very soon on the yaycloud thing, the tempsong/tempvideo is really ugly.

Renard

No, don't. I'll do it but we need the definitive audio track first, which is still lacking.

yayponies-eu

its already uploading, the audio was ugly too, So I also remade it, a mp3 320kbps stereo track correctly tagged.

EDIT : However, I don't delete the temp files or edit the note.txt...

Renard

There's more to it. Again, please don't and wait for the final audio track.

yayponies-eu

Quote from: Renard on January 18, 2013, 11:54:16 AM
There's more to it. Again, please don't and wait for the final audio track.

Yeah, the sound effect removing thing and all, anyway is a bit late now as its already on.