[S4E20] Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic

Started by Smilley, March 31, 2014, 10:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilley

This is gonna be another one of those songs, isn't it?
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

PsychicWalnut

Audio files are done.

Regular, Instrumental, and a pitch reference track are now their way to OwnCloud.

InklingBear

Hmm.. I'm not sure if I should try syncing this song in the game, btw the BPM range is just about 126.15. I can do graphics for it in the meantime if you want.

PsychicWalnut

Well... Now would be the day to give it a try. ;)

If it ends up bad, just say 'April Fools!' and don't worry about it.

Smilley

Quote from: PsychicWalnut on April 02, 2014, 01:05:04 AM

lol

@Dreamland: I warn you, this is gonna be hell to sync. Not to sound condescending or anything, but given the difficulty, I wouldn't want anyone without a whole lot of experience to tackle this one - even though I dread it myself. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it myself until friday night, at earliest.

InklingBear

Quote from: Smilley on April 02, 2014, 11:44:11 AM
Quote from: PsychicWalnut on April 02, 2014, 01:05:04 AM

lol

@Dreamland: I warn you, this is gonna be hell to sync. Not to sound condescending or anything, but given the difficulty, I wouldn't want anyone without a whole lot of experience to tackle this one - even though I dread it myself. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it myself until friday night, at earliest.

Thanks for warning me. I shall watch for anything Flim and Flam have to throw at me. :P
[spoiler]I was just doing a test thing with the Ultrastar Creator to see if I can get this thing down.[/spoiler]

Smilley

@Psychic: Even though the transition from prose to song is fairly sudden in this song, I think we can cut the first 41 seconds of exposition on this one. And I'm not just saying this because I won't have to time the brothers' fast-paced banter that way.

PsychicWalnut

I thought about that... but at 58 seconds, it goes right back to that same starting style.  This led me to believe that it is truly part of the song.  Similar in a way to the start of the other Flim Flam song.

Anyhow, I personally dislike it when a song starts its lyrics immediately upon playing.  Adding a short silence before that break would make the video look bad as it would show the Flim Flam Brothers talking with completely silent audio.

Smilley

It's basically that you'll be bored to tears for the first 40 seconds of the "song", and while we cannot do much about the prose parts in between, we can make sure to have as little as we can during the beginning.
I agree that the start would either be awkward or abrupt that way, but I guess there's little we can do to help that.
I've started working on the song, and it's every bit as beastly as I feared. It'll probably take another few days, depending on how I'll be able to summon up motivation for it.

Renard

Smilley

Nah, I'm OK. Already about halfway through.

InklingBear

Quote from: Smilley on April 06, 2014, 10:49:21 PM

How did you manage to get the sync down?

PsychicWalnut

I just noticed... the folder name on this one uses the word 'cure' instead of 'curative'.  Is there an easy way to fix this?

Smilley

Quote from: PsychicWalnut on April 07, 2014, 11:53:16 AM
I just noticed... the folder name on this one uses the word 'cure' instead of 'curative'.  Is there an easy way to fix this?
Rename it? It might delete and re-download the files, but with flatrate highspeed internet that's not such a problem anymore.
Quote from: Dreamland200 on April 07, 2014, 12:49:33 AM
Quote from: Smilley on April 06, 2014, 10:49:21 PM

How did you manage to get the sync down?
Tapping is quite easy. Pitching is harder, it's basically a good ear and a whole lot of practice. You'll see how well I did. Actually, I'm not 100% confident I've nailed it. Once it's done, I'll be glad for constructive criticism.

Smilley

Uploaded the first notes to Owncloud. The beginning is a bit of a crude nip-and-tuck, given that it still has a word of dialogue attached, but other than that I'm kinda OK with it. Certainly not one of my favourite songs to time and pitch.

blackwolverine2

Just tried it out. The video seems a bit behind the mp3 on both the standard and instrumental versions.

Also, here's a possible cover for the song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb4h0ekj756krkq/Flim_and_Flam_levitating_bottles_of_tonic_S4E20.png

Smilley

With this big skip in audio and video, the first few seconds of the video get screwed up a bit. Could someone edit it so we don't have to use the #START tag? And maybe smooth out the audio for the beginning. It was a quick and dirty hack.