Season 4 talk

Started by Smilley, November 04, 2013, 06:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilley

I don't know about you, but it's got my hype up all over again.

EDIT: There's definitely a new opening sequence. If there's a new song, I call dibs!
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

Renard

I'm not watching this! :o
Yet. :P

Renard

Finally able to watch the trailer!

So, what did you guys think of these two new episodes? They're definitely leaving me wanting for more.
(Maybe we should rename that topic in a "Season 4 talk" thingy, and allow spoilers in here)

Smilley

Quote from: Renard on November 25, 2013, 11:14:26 PM
Finally able to watch the trailer!

So, what did you guys think of these two new episodes? They're definitely leaving me wanting for more.
(Maybe we should rename that topic in a "Season 4 talk" thingy, and allow spoilers in here)
Done.
I hope you watched the episodes themselves, too, because you have an epic spoiler-rant upcoming.

I love the Season 4 premiere. It has everything to get you pumped for the upcoming episodes.
I like the art upgrade, though I think someone got too eager on the new lighting engine during the crystal window scene.
I think RD's reaction that not everypony dreams of having their coronation commemorated was a jab at fan theories that every Mane 6 pony would become an alicorn eventually.
They got the emotional scenes just right, especially with the scene between Twilight and Celestia and during the first flashback. Subtle thing, but Twilight called her mentor "Celestia" when she fell to Nightmare Moon, not "Princess" or "Your Highness".
I adored the fact that Rarity turned her magic off by snuffing her horn like a candle.
Spike and Discord really took it away in the comedy department.
I wonder if Twilight using the Sombra-style black and purple magic will come to bite her in the plot someday.
The fact that Discord turned out to be the Big Bad completely took me off guard, but in a good way.
Interesting thing that Discord gave the Mane 6 a lot of hints and Twilight a much-needed pep talk - in his own way -, but it makes sense. For him, it was a win-win scenario: if the Mane 6 fail, he rules supreme unopposed, even sealing away the Elements of Harmony. And they can only succeed if they relinquish the Elements themselves, still freeing him from their threat.
The keyholes were a stroke of genius. We still don't know what they'll hide, but they give the season a second overarching plotline next to the Equestria Games. It certainly made me anticipate the upcoming episodes even more.
I also wonder what, if anything, the Tree of Harmony will do to reign in the chaotic nature of the Everfree Forest. It has always been such a convenient place for all the strange and mystical threats to the Mane 6 and Ponyville.

Now a bit for the bad:
The new intro is a massive cop-out. They could've made a whole new intro, or at least use the extended cut, but they just slappen wings on Twilight's model and redid the last 5 seconds of animation. On the upside, the CMC finally got featured in the opening front and (slightly off) center. I wonder if making it to the intro means anything for the importance of the other secondary cast. The Cakes in particular have been reduced to a single cameo appearance in Season 3.
AJ's insistence that they were only together because of the Elements and not, y'know, because they're friends seems forced, though it did set up Twilight's "Dear Princess Celestia" style monologue.
All Royal Guard VAs seem to have gotten a directional instruction to sound as deep and manly as they could, and it comes off sounding very unnatural. This is a bit jarring given the show's otherwise exceptionally good voice work.
Zecora just happening to have a potion she cannot use without alicorn magic that just happens to move the plot along is a clear cop-out and one of the most common complaints I have seen about the episode.
Lastly, Fluttershy readily weaponizing her friendship with Discord was kinda wierd, but I guess the writers had to deal with a potential Discord fallout within the last minute of the episode.

All in all, waiting with bated breath for the upcoming episodes. *squee*

Renard

Completely agreeing with you. It was fantastic, and I definitely did not expect that; this season starts with a lot of references to past episodes, and I expected it to start with a lot less action - setting the stage again so the audience could catch up even if they missed the previous episodes. Nope, didn't happen.

I didn't really expect to see Luna turning into NightmareMoon and fighting Celestia. I really enjoyed it, but can't help but feel that it deserved more backstory. This was a thousand years ago, and basically Equestria was quite the same (even population-wise, it seems) back then. NMM was quickly defeated too; the banishment was quick to happen, and I feel there's some wasted story potential here. On another aspect, the vines invading Ponyville suspiciously share Chrysalis' design, but she was nowhere to be seen. Maybe it's a hint she'll come back in another episode?

Smilley

I've heard that the IDW comics are considered canon, and those elaborate on both Nighmare Moon's backstory and what became of Chrysalis. And the changelings aren't going anywhere in the near future if the ending is anything to go by.
Agreed on the sudden banishment of Nightmare Moon, but given a more dragged-out battle between the two sisters, Celestia may have figured out a way to cure her sister.
Equestria was already united before Discord took over, as seen in Hearth's Warming Eve and the crystal window depicting Discord's reign in Return of Harmony.
Just now, I've been beginning to wonder why Celestia kept the Elements of Harmony in her old, abandoned castle, but she may have wanted to keep them close to the Tree of Harmony in case they needed to be replaced. And she might have not put them back because she was afraid it could dispel Discord's stone prison.
She may even have anticipated events leading up to the events of these episodes, thus wanting Discord reformed rather than risk him coming free without any means - and be those morale rather than physical - to restrain him. In this case she could've just filled in the Mane 6. Trollestia indeed. Maybe now that she's an alicorn Celestia will share more of her Batman Gambits with Twilight (too much TV Tropes).
Hmmm, maybe the Everfree Forest will change now, too, with the seeds of chaos destroyed - which in and of themselves could explain all the strange occurences around those woods - and the Tree restored to full power.

PsychicWalnut

Ok, just a few things...

I kinda like how they changed the intro.  Most of it stayed exactly the same, as it shows Twilight (no wings) coming to Ponyville and introduces her friends.  The only thing that changes, is the ending.  They pose for a new picture (in which Twi has wings, and more cast members are shown), and both Celestia AND Luna get to view it.

And let's see... 6 keys... are these gonna be the 'Keys of Friendship'?  I'm guessing each of the Mane 6 are going to represent an aspect of friendship, in order to acquire their key.  Who knows... maybe the theme song will tell us what these aspects of friendship may be.

Of course, I have no foreknowledge of the episodes.  Nor have I heard the terms 'keys of friendship' or 'aspect of friendship'... I just made em up right now.

Smilley

Here we have the HUB highlights for December, including the MLP lineup. Just some thoughts about our upcoming work.
[spoiler]
Daring Don't: I don't see any new song in this setup, but they could throw a curveball there. I remember not counting on a song for One Bad Apple, either.
Flight to the Finish: Definite song-potential there. Either a new CMC-piece or a chorus.
Power Ponies: Unless they go for a saturday morning cartoon opening spoof, I really don't see it.
Bats!: I really don't think so. The episide seems to be pretty kickass, though.
[/spoiler]

Smilley

Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Renard

Mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe. :D

Smilley

Smilley

In case you haven't seen it, Season 5 confirmed.
Hell! Yeah!