Youtube Singing Lessons

Started by amadas, August 22, 2013, 01:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amadas

Hi everypony :D
Yesterday I found some great singing lesson on youtube by http://www.youtube.com/user/EricArceneaux/videos
His videos in just one day helped me to enhance greatly my voice abilities. There are some new HD lessons, but I find old ones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOn-b3V6rQ much better. There is missing part 2, but I found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMnQKDQVXow. There are many exercises and tips, to help sing propely and not annoy neighbours (what usually do  ::)  )

Now I have some questions for you guys  8)

Have you ever had any singing lessons?
Can you share some nice free video lessons you found?

Smilley

I knew a radio correspondent once who would do such breathing and voice exercises before going on the air.
For myself, I had no professional training since mandatory singing classes in elementary school. The most I learned and improved was, believe it or not, through Ultrastar. In the beginning, I had real trouble with my breath with Gypsy Bard.
One song that I downloaded just for lulz ended up helping me a whole lot: Eduard Khil: "I am very glad because I'm finally returning back home", better known as the Trololo Song. It has long, sustained notes, quick pitch changes and fast-paced parts where you'll need to know exactly when and how hard to breathe in.
Want to try your hoof at making your own songs? Look no further!

amadas

Thanx for reply Smilley.
Eduard Khil is just incredible. He sing nearly whole Trololo song, while smiling  :D But maybe lirycs wasn't the best   ;)
I will download it to Ultrastar and play it all the time.
I agree that Ultrastar really help to sing better, but just hitting the note isn't enough to be pro singer. I am bassist in a band and I always wanted to be back up vocalist, however even if I can score 7000 on hard in one song, I still didn't sound well. So now I doing some video lessons to sound better. And it works.

Smilley

I hear ya. If you can pull that song off with the same waxen grin, you know you've got it. Actually, that's what I've been thinking while watching that instruction video: he makes all those sounds almost without moving a facial muscle.
As for songs scoring high while still sounding horrible, I realized that after recording Picture Perfect Pony. There's a reason I didn't share that one. My problem is, I think, that I can sing in multiple tones, switching when notes become too high or low for that "voice". Switching between tones mid-line without my voice breaking was also something I perfected while playing Ultrastar, though.
Another problem is that PPP is closest to my speaking voice, which I ironically have least control over when singing.

amadas

This is my favourite warm up song: Cyril The Wolf - The Life of a Twilight Star
And this is my Ultrastar play of it: http://picosong.com/yC5W

I was trying to score notes too much, so I still didn't sound well.
Amadas is my normal username for Ultrastar, but I also play it on bass (nick: Bas Amadas) , which is also fun, however pretty hard at first.

ulitmatepartyanimal

please help me i can't keep up with the lyrics is there a way to slow down the lyrics

Smilley

To slow down the lyrics you would need to slow down the whole song, and that's not possible with Ultrastar.
OTOH, would you really want to play a slowed-down version? It'd just sound awkward.
Memorizing the lyrics in advance is a way to start if you really are unsure about them, or simply listening to/playing the song enough times. Start with slower-paced songs like Lands of Equestria or I've Got To Find A Way.
Also, don't let fast songs intimidate you. It took me ages to get the ending of Giggle At The Ghostly right, too.

Renard

Quote from: Smilley on December 01, 2013, 12:27:00 AMIt took me ages to get the ending of Giggle At The Ghostly right, too.
I still can't. :P